andyg Wrote:
> I think the major issue here is that Microsoft charges a license fee to
> have a WMA Lossless decoder.  FLAC has no such problems.  You were
> probably on the right path when you first chose FLAC. :)  The good news
> is you can easily convert your files to any other lossless format with
> no loss of information. :)

I know I can easily convery my files to whatever format I won't and I
even did test of my WMA Lossless encoded data to make sure it didn't do
anything bad on the way. (Decompressed back to WAV and compared). I
don't trust M$ more than you guys, but getting all the music on HD is
all about ease of access. Thus, the resason for doing WMAL over FLAC is
simply to make it easyer to fill any new portable player, car player or
whatever without to much hassle.

Anyone know what kind of licensing fee M$ charges for WMA Lossless? I
guess SD already has a license for WMA (Lossy) since that is supported
natively? And, doesn't wmadec then really need a license anyway? wmadec
is included as part of a commercial offerice as SB does not do much
without SS. (Let's forget about for SN now).

--
Terje