dean Wrote:
> On Aug 5, 2006, at 9:21 PM, daniels5 wrote:
> > An additional use of the "tape loop" function would allow one to
> > connect an equalizer or room correction device to the Transporter.
> In
> > other words, when using the "tape loop" mode for a pair of
> > output/inputs would loop the signal being decoded by the CPU through
> > the room correction device.  That is to say CPU -> ethernet ->
> > Transporter -> Transporter's AES/EBU output -> Rane Equalizer ->
> > Transporter's AES/EBU input -> out Transporter balanced / unbalanced
> > audio outputs.
> This is something that Sean has planned.  He's been spending a lot of
>
> time with his new room correction system...

Good news.  And yes, I have a listening room like the one Sean
describes, with an open hall attached.  It certainly calls for some
room treatment and room correction to deal with the bass suck-out and
asymmetry in first reflections etc.

It will be interesting to see what we can accomplish with the
Transporter + a Rane or a TacT.  I look forward to comparing the
results gained by using Room Correction hardware, with the results
obtained with a sophisticated software plug-in for the Squeezebox or
Transporter, like Hugh is beta-testing now.

Hugh just sent me a new filter to try for my room and speakers, but I
am on the road and I will not be able to hear the results for another
two weeks.

After one has solved the issues the Transporter addresses (jitter,
power, background noise, quality inputs etc.) it seems that Room
Correction is the final frontier to truly musical sound reproduction
today.

It is good that the Transporter will be able to address this with both
hardware and a software approaches, and enable customers to harvest the
low-hanging audio fruit that comes from solving for the interaction of
speakers and the walls, floors and ceilings of listening rooms.

/Danie

--
daniels5