fingers Wrote:
> Yes, the actual files become corrupted.  Slim Server starts skipping
> through the corrupted files.  Even WMP refuses to play them after this
> happens giving an error message that the files are corrupted.  Yes, the
> file sizes change.  WMP is the latest version

Very odd! As I said, I wouldn't expect the SS scan to modify the files
(but I don't know the code, and am only guessing; who knows how
scanning WMA files works?)

I wonder what would happen if you set the files to be read-only...
would they still get corrupted? (In which case I'd mistrust either the
readonly setting (in Windows, trust b*gger all!) or your hard drive!)
Would the scan itself fail (because it "needs" to change a file, but
can't)?

I suppose there's also the possibility that some other process is
corrupting the files; say, if you're running another music app that's
changing files on the fly (possibly via a well-hidden configuration
setting).  (I remember once doing lots of damage to my WMA tags by
foolishly letting WMP try to "fix" them for me, but I'm fairly sure I
explicitly asked WMP to do it. And the files weren't rendered
unplayable, just my carefully-assigned genres were replaced by those
chosen by a bunch of brainless jerks with no taste :-(.)

-- Brian

--
Brian Ritchie