Can you describe your slimserver set up?
My guess is that you have SlimServer installed on a PC at home, running
on a LAN behind a broadband router of some description...

If that is the case, unless you have stupendous amounts of upload
bandwidth in your broadband connection to the 'net, and you don't
suffer latency issues on the many hops between your SlimServer and your
work PC, and your work's firewall/proxy doesn't cause any issues, then
there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to stream FLAC files..;-)

Seriously though, its likely that there simply isn't enough bandwidth
to stream files which require often 900 to 2000kbit/s capability.  I'm
in the same situation.  My cable broadband provides 512kbit/s up (but
10mbit/s down!).  That simply isn't enough to play FLAC files with no
interuptions.  Also, all the other bits I mentioned above will have an
affect.

Your best option is to set your winamp connection in SlimServer to
transcode to MP3, and limit the bitrate to something like 128k, and see
if that works.  To do this, you'll have  to installed LAME (and tell you
how to do this, if you need to know).

Another factor which affects me is that I use SSH to connect to my PC
at home - its the only way I can get past our work proxy servers - and
its done through SOCKS proxies.  That adds further overhead.

Hope that helps,

Chris.

--
chris.mason