srasher;130938 Wrote:
> I just saw on the details page that it is based on a 166MHz processor,
> which means it's even got less performance than typical NAS devices.

Clock speed isn't everything...from a page on one of their other
products, the 'MicroServer GP/GP+'
(http://www.norhtec.com/products/gp/details.html):

> NorhTec's first microservers are based on the SiS 55x SoC. The SiS 55x
> is a x86 MMX compatible CPU that offers superscaler execution and a
> pipelined floating point unit. The SIS 55x has three superpipelined
> Inter Units. This means that for a given clock cycle, the SiS 55x can
> execute more than one instruction. For example, at 100 Mhz, the SiS 55x
> offers the same computational power as a 233Mhz MMX.

So a 166 MHz processor of this type might be competitive with a
processor in an average NAS, maybe more so.

They have other similar products, although more expensive, that would
be suitable for running SlimServer.

--
Mark Lanctot