Hi Steve,

sorry for the delayed answer! I cannot speak for SS 6.3.1 but I have an
installation of 6.3.0 running on the MIPS Linkstation working fine. I
got it and the installation instructions from the same place referred
in the original place (LinkstationWiki). What is strange is that you're
investigations are somehow indicating you've got perl version 5.8.5
whereas the current Openlink version 0.52b
(http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Projects/OpenLink) contains
perl version 5.8.7.

If you have not already removed all the perl stuff, let me give one
additional hint there: the line

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Aug 25 15:43 /usr/local/bin/perl ->
perl5.8.5

again indicates a symbolic link (in this case from /usr/local/bin/perl
to /usr/local/bin/perl5.8.5) and therefore the "file ..." command has
to be rerun on the real executable, i.e. try

file /usr/local/bin/perl5.8.5

or any further files if this is still just a link pointing somewhere
else.

REGARDING THE FIRMWARE UPDATE:
- I hope someone corrects me if this is wrong but from my point of view
the SS version 5.4 won't update anything on the NAS as the firmware is
not downloaded but is contained in the SS package. As 5.4 is quite old
there might not be a newer version of the Firmware included than the
one you already have on your SB.

- I am not sure (don't have the manual available right now) but can it
be that you have to do the factory reset or something similar via the
remote control for the Squeezebox to initiate a Firmware update?

Hope all this is of any help for you!

Cheers,
Sebastian

--