Yes, connected over a network via USB2 from an NSLU2, rescanning is when
you'd notice the slowdown.

You don't need internal IDE/SATA speeds when you're serving music, but
rescan needs as much speed as possible.  Lots of I/O requests,
particularly for 12.5K tracks.

You must notice your network activity light on your router/switch going
nuts on a rescan.

You have 3 items slowing you down here: USB2, 100 Mbps Ethernet and the
NSLU2.  I find my USB2 drive directly connected to my PC gives real
speeds of 125 Mbps (a far cry from the 480 Mbps USB2 spec) and 100 Mbps
Ethernet gives ~85-90 Mbps real speed.  The NSLU2 will slow things down
further - how much I don't know.

--
Mark Lanctot