Paul_B;131712 Wrote:
> What is the purpose of a CUE sheet?
A CUE sheet is generally used for burning a CD, giving the proper gaps
and indexes to the burned CD.  The non-compliant CUE sheets that EAC
creates can only be used by a handful of burning programs (EAC, Burrrn,
and PlexTools, IIRC).  Burrrn, which I use, can burn directly from FLAC
files, which is why I edit the CUE to reference the .flac file.  It
makes burning a CD copy to throw in the car stereo a very simple
operation.

> Can you explain (for the thickies) what is the purpose of the above
> Tags, where they are used what effect they have?
ARTISTSORT controls the sort order of artist in SlimServer's artist
(and in 6.5, optionally, albums).  I use this mostly to enable doing
lastname first, firstname last sorting of individual artists.

ALBUMSORT isn't really necessary.  I remove leading articles the same
as SlimServer would.  I just choose to do it in the tags instead.
Occasionally I'll find some reason to change the sort order of an album
that isn't based on its title.

COMPILATION may or may not be necessary on non-compilation disks, but
on actual compilations, it's a real good idea.  SlimServer has had a
zillion problems figuring out compilation (Various Artists) albums on
its own - and these bugs have a nasty habit of returning.  Explicitly
adding the COMPILATION tag seems to cure 99% of the problems.

DISC is the disc number of a disc in multidisc set.  I don't believe
there's any other way for SlimServer to detect or number multidisc
albums.  It's necessary if you want to group the discs together in
album listings and have the tracks ordered correctly - otherwise you
get a track #1, then track #1, track #2, track #2, etc.

DISCC (Disc Count), the last I've seen isn't absolutely necessary for
SlimServer.  I include it for completeness, and because it's easy to
add for the small number of multidisc albums in my library.

The additional GENRE and ARTIST tags are for organization.  SlimServer
handles multiple tags for both of these pretty well.  An album can
easily be found under two or more genres.  Similarly, an artist that
appears in a duo on one track on someone else's album can have that
album listed when you do an artist search.

--
JJZolx

Jim