I had heard that digital cameras are sensitive to IR from remote
controls so I decided to try it out myself.

You need a darkened room so that the camera's aperture is opened as
wide as possible and so that the IR won't be washed out by stronger
sources.

Well, I tried it out and it worked much better than I expected.  Not a
faint glow at all but a bright purplish beam.  See the attachment.

This is the late SB2/early SB3 remote, the power button.  I also
noticed as I held the button down it strobed and that the viewing angle
was very small - when I tried to get a shot of it lying on the counter
so that you could see the spread of the beam, I couldn't pick up
anything.  The beam needs to be pointing more or less directly at the
camera.  I'd estimate the viewing angle at about 15 degrees or so.

You can see a typical LED structure - the element chip's back end
partially shading the beam as it reflects off the parabolic mirror at
the base of the LED.  This was with my eyes seeing absolutely nothing.

If you're having remote troubles and no way to diagnose, lock yourself
in the bathroom with the lights out, the remote and your digital
camera.  :-)

P.S.  Think I could submit this to a UFO sighting website?

|Filename: IR.JPG                                                   |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1600|

Mark Lanctot