gian wrote:
It seems not possible to draw conclusions about wireless range,
everything seems so unpredictable...

Actually, the 'unpredictable' results are expected.
WiFi runs on the 2.4 gHz band, which was allocated for Microwave Ovens, in part because no radio designers wanted to use 2.4 gHz.

Prior to microwave ovens, designers stayed away because the 2.4 gHz radio signals interacted strongly with the water molecules in air, plants, people, etc. The RadarRange designers picked it because the purpose of a microwave oven is to excite the water molecules.

So when the RadarRange folks wanted that band, the communications engineers said "take it, I don't want it"

So it is unregulated world wide, since water molecules are the same size all over the planet, and maybe galaxy.

Now, we have WiFi, bluetooth, ZigBee and other radios all trying to play in the same space. And if you move a big house plant around,
or a big roomate, the reception is impacted.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html