Well I spent a couple of hours last night trying to figure this one out.
I updated the firmware on my SB3 as well as my SB1.  Still my SB3 could
not connect.  Finally in desperation I unplugged the SB3, plugged it
back in and it immediately told me to update the firmware (which I had
already done).  It updated it again (or at least updated the same
firmware a second time) and voila! it worked like a charm.  No more
stuttering, no more connection issues.

I can't account for the cause but the simple and desperate act of just
unplugging the SB3 did the trick.  Good luck to the rest of you with
the same issue.  Maybe this will work for you too?

--
WrightDawg