jelockwood;139504 Wrote:
> Apart from the FF/Rwd issue (does that affect FLAC as well?) I cannot
> see any disadvantage to using ALAC over AIFF. ALAC is supported by all
> the major hardware devices (SqueezeBox, Sonos ZonePlayer, Roku
> SoundBridge via FireFly, and of course iPod!). It is possible to use it
> in WinAmp and I even have it working in WMP 10 and Media Center 2005!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but SqueezeBox does *not* have hardware
support for ALAC. It needs to be transcoded to something else (FLAC,
MP3, WAV) on the server before being streamed to the SB. And it's
precisely because the SB supports FLAC (plus AIFF, WAV, MP3, Ogg
Vorbis, and WMA lossy) natively that you can ff/rew tracks in that
format but not in ALAC.  For you those disadvantages of ALAC compared
to AIFF might well be outweighed by the advantages of ALAC.

For a listing of what formats SB supports natively, see:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?HardwareComparison

--
aubuti