Chip Hart wrote:

        As my wife says, I'm obsessed, so I spent a "little while" last
        night until I came up with what seems like a successful brute
        force method for finding the problem for our missing music under
        6.51.

        Our music is already divided into a hierarchy ("his" vs. "hers"
        and then by genre), so I just browsed into the music folders and
        hit "Play" on each one and watched the log until I found errors.
        The goal was to effectively "add" the tracks until I figured out
        where it died.

          Note: running the global scan and using d_scan still didn't
          produce any output (except to note that it started).  It only
          works as I add directories.  Am I missing something?

        After a while, I finally found a track (Therion:Vovin:Draconian
        Trilogy, for those keeping score) whose tags were clearly
        causing a problem.  Not only would all my other CLI tag tools
        barf upon trying to read/open it, but trying to add it three
        times in succession while working on it caused mysql to crash!

        Finally, I decided just to remove it and...bing!  I haven't done
        a full rescan, but it looks like ALL our music is there.

        And - ironically - the album art works now.  It makes me wonder
        if the folks who are missing album are also missing tracks and
        don't realize it?

        This method, while gross, may make it possible for some folks to
        track down the offending file(s).

--
Chip Hart - Pediatric Solutions  *  Physician's Computer Company
chip @ pcc.com                   *  1 Main St. #7, Winooski, VT 05404