On 10/3/06, shabbs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Jack Coates;142552 Wrote:
> I find that wipe-and-rescan is still necessary far too often
> (effectively
> just about every time I add music). The regular scan detects new music
> properly, but does not handle changes to existing music well at all.
Does your tag editor preserve the file date/time stamp when you make
adjustments? That may be the case as the scan keys off the last
modified date IIRC.

Nope, it updates the time stamp, and SS does pick up things like changed spelling or punctuation in a record. What it doesn't pick up without a wipe-and-rescan is new cover art ( cover.jpg in the folder), or merges of albums.

What I mean by merges of albums is this: When I get a multi-CD album, I remove the DISCNUMBER tag and renumber the files so that they're presented as a single album (after all, I don't tag specially to show which side of the LP or which track of the 8-track this song was on). Sometimes I forget to do this until after SS has already seen the album. It is impossible for SS to pick up that the Disc 2 album is no longer is existence, even after all of its tracks are moved to what used to be the Disc 1 album.
--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional