Assuming that the developers indeed have made a dreadful mistake and
made MySQL a requirement, I'd like to know... WHY?

One reason that hasn't been mentioned is the inability (or buggyness in this area?) of SQLite to serve more than one process. The scanner is now run in a separate process.

The data model and processing requirements for a tool like Slimserver
do not outgrow the abilities of so-called 'embeddable' databases such
as sqlite. Convince me otherwise, if you can.

May be the data model isn't complex, but the user in this application is more demanding than your accountant: ours are used to waiting a second or two for a new screen. Most of the users here don't want to wait so long when browsing their music collection on the display. That said I'll add that I've already been using MySQL with earlier SlimServers as it was about 30% faster in tests using the CLI. Probably not representative, but good enough a reason for me to swap.

--

Michael