On 10/10/06, Michael Herger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> What becomes increasingly evident is that running SlimServer on
> anything other than a dedicated server is becoming less and less
> feasible as the software evolves and customers' expectations for
> robustness and responsiveness increases.

I don't know why I should need a dedicated machine, really. I've no
problem running slimserver 6.5 with samba, apache, another MySQL instance,
mail... on the same two year old Via C3/1GHz with 512MB ram. That machine
does sometimes crash for unknown reasons. But it's been up for three
months now, surviving quite a few slimserver installations.

I'd bet most of the issues asking for a dedicated machine are due to some
other influence.

I gotta agree with this. I look at the slimserver user on my server, and it's using 150 MB of RAM and 2 percent average of the CPU, for all of its services put together. During a scan, CPU use goes up to 20% or so for about fifteen minutes (almost 14,000 tracks). It's the most important service on the box, aside from low-impactors like routing, firewalling, squid, and openvpn.

For comparison's sake, Firefox is using about the same amount of memory and CPU on my XP laptop with 7 open tabs.

--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional