On 10/10/06, smc2911 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

neurophyre;145151 Wrote:
> Funny, I came here to make a post asking if there's any way to improve
> performance on low-end machines.  Hitting "play" on a directory with a
> few hundred files in it (say I want to listen to a shuffle of all my
> alternative music, or whatever) is absolutely glacial on my even more
> lowly 600MHz VIA Eden CPU (vaguely comparable to a 350MHz original
> Celeron, or so I've heard).  The Squeezebox freezes hard for like 15
> seconds until SlimServer can get itself together to build the playlist
> and start servicing UI requests again.
Building huge playlists like that can certainly be slow. If you want a
shuffle on a big list of music, I'd suggest you look at erlands plugins
here http://erland.homeip.net/download (primarily DynamicPlaylist and
SQLPlaylist), which dynamically generates playlists in blocks of 10
tracks at a time. The performance is far better this way.

Or use the built-in Random Play, which does the same thing.
--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional