I've got my SlimServer running on a headless Win2k3 box with an 800Mhz
PIII and 512mb RAM.

OS choice was simply because I got Win2K3 free with a MSDN subscription
at work, and I'm familiar with it.  I plan on doing a *nix (probably
Ubuntu) setup eventually when I've got a little tinkering time.

I like the "dedicated box for slimserver" option primarily for the
flexibility it affords me.  Very easy to add/remove plugins and muck
about with the internals when I feel the whim.

I also run MusicIP mixer on this box, and have SQLyog installed so I
can play around with the database when I feel the need.  These things
would be more challenging to do if I were to run a NAS.

--
jeffluckett