Kyle;145179 Wrote:
> I would like a device that will play my FLAC files directly from my
> external hard drive though powered speakers.  Is there a device that
> will allow me to eliminate the PC and LAN from the equation when I want
> my music portable?

I think the best list of devices that support flac can probably be
found at http://flac.sourceforge.net/.  Not sure if any of them support
external hard drives, though.  I'd look into a cheap or used laptop for
this purpose.  If audio quality is a concern add an external USB DAC.

Any "device" that can play audio... even a tiny flash-based pen drive
is really a "computer", so it's just a matter of drawing the line
either at size, features, or cost.  If such a portable player is going
to cost $700 then why not just buy an inexpensive laptop with 12"
screen at the nearest big box store for about the same price?

--
JJZolx

Jim