This has been a known problem since 6.2 and tends to show itself if you
are using FLAC or (worse) ALAC and running SS on a NAS.

According to the Infrant people it is to do with the way and time SS
builds its random play list. Advancing a song causes SS to stop all
other tasks, move forward a song and also add the next random song to
the list. Takes processing power and memory. I have a NV with 1Gb of
RAM but I still see a 2-5 second dropout - down from 10 seconds with
stock RAM. Run SS on a powerful PC and it is not an issue.

Not an expert on this but I suspect SS needs to advance to the next
song in the list and then delay adding a new entry rather than doing
both at once. Not a problem if you are using lossy files as the SB3
buffer masks the problem.

Developers - Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

--
Heuer