I think it's definitely too early to tell how this is going to impact
the future generations of the SqueezeBox and Transporter lines ... my
personal feeling is that they're going to loose some "Street Cred"
if/when logitech puts thier big goofy-looking logo on the product.

I am quite happy that I bought a pre-logitch device, because I will
always have that "known quantity" for as long as it continues to
operate.  Hopefully it'll last as long as some of the other electronics
in my posession ... some on the order of decades.

That said, I'm future-proofing myself by keeping copies of old
SlimServer versions so I know I'll always have -something- that works
with my SB, even if Logitech manages to bumble up the Server software
down the line in some capacity or other.

I also worry about the future of the SqueezeNetwork ... I don't see
that as much of a cash cow ... there's no advertising ... maybe there's
some kick-back from Pandora subscriptions ... dunno.  I can't see
Logitech keeping SqueezeNetwork alive if it is mostly liability with
little potential for profit.

I predict that SqueezeNetwork will either be scuttled, become a
fee-based subscription service, or be riddled with advertising (unless
you pay your ransom and subscribe).

Fortunately I'm not "addicted" to SqueezeNetwork, and I have my old
server software which supports internet radio, and my old hardware that
isn't 'locked down' at the firmware level from being able to have the
flexibility I now enjoy.

I know this is fairly pessimistic view of the future of SlimDevice's
product line ... but history shows what happens in cases where a small,
innovative, flexible, service-oriented company is taken over by a
publicly traded Corp-monster who's primary responsibility is to
shareholders, and customers are just money trees to be plucked and
groomed only enough that they keep sprouting dollar bills.

--
jeffluckett