Jetlag;147847 Wrote:
> I was just getting ready to order a Transporter, but now I am quite
> hesitant.  My concerns?
> 1.  Will we continue to see the release of "dailies", timely updates
> and bug fixes or will this turn into a rare firmware upgrade once every
> blue moon?  Will these frequent updates (usually created as a response
> to user input) disappear altogether?
> 2.  DRM - I don't own and iPod or Zune because of it (nor do I use
> iTunes, Rhapsody, etc as I refuse to pay $1 for a lossy crappy sounding
> MP3 song | Your opinion may be different).  I don't illegally trade or
> sell my music, but once I buy a CD, I want to use the FLAC files I make
> from them as I wish whether it be in my home setup, on my DAP, in my car
> or on my laptop.  Because of Logitech's more mainstream "computing"
> presence (for lack of a better term), will we soon be forced to pay for
> and download Logitech branded MP3s that will only play on the
> Logitech-Slimdevices gear and possibly ONLY on that specific player?
> 3a. What is Logitech's plan for continued support of FLAC?
> 3.  I love the integration between my Infrant NV ReadyNAS and my
> current SB2 and SB3.  Will this relationship continue with SS being
> part of the ReadyNAS OS or will this also vanish in the future due to
> big company corporate meddling in my much loved current setup?
> 4.  How soon will we see the SB3 and Transporter appear with a Logitech
> logo emblazoned on the front?
> Much trepidation and concern over the future of my music....

Go and buy it!
I'm very glad I've ordered a Transporter and one with a SlimDevices
logo on it too (although this might not change). For the first time in
the three or so years I've owned a Squeezebox I now have a system that
causes me no trouble at all. I have no reason to upgrade as 6.5.1
provides all the features I require and it just seems to work (I'm even
perfectly happy with the current remote as my main controller). I'm
pretty sure it'll work just as well in the Transporter (when it
arrives).

So, if Slimdevices decided to go interplanetary travelling I would not
really care. At last I have what I want, an audiophile network player
that only requires powered speakers or a power amp and speakers.
In the event of things changing... (i.e. new MS OS, new wireless
standards, new super-compressed lossless files etc) I am sure that
there are already enough SB*'s around that the open source software
would get updated.

I do think Sean should have made the firmware open source before
selling the company though!  :-)

MC

--
ModelCitizen

Now what?

Squeezebox3 (linear PSU) > Benchmark Dac1 > Naim NAC 82 > Naim NAP 250
> Shahinian Arcs. Plus other irrelevant, superfluous and annoying black
boxes.
Music catalog: http://modelcitizen.mine.nu/music.txt