The (optional?) RF piece of the Harmony remote seems to conform to
z-wave
http://www.zen-sys.com/
There is an implication with the "My Pictures", reportedly seen on some
screenshots of the Harmony 1000, that it is bi-directional (assuming
that the pictures were not loaded via USB).

So - I'd imagine that an add-on to the Squeezebox or a new model with
z-wave support might be enough.
It shouldn't need wi-fi speed to get browsable cover art.

Putting the support into the firmware would be moving from slim towards
fat and from open towards closed but supporting a "standard" that seems
to be endorsed by lots of home automation vendors might be a good move.

--
Paul Webster

Paul Webster
http://www.lastfm.com/user/BondJamesBond