Thanks for all the answers. This has given me a huge start on looking at
suitable technology. SadGamerGeek's solution is temping because it would
force me to buy an X-box (such hardship!) although I would prefer to use
a PS3 because I prefer to support Blu-Ray rather than HD DVD. The
trouble is that right now the Xbox seems to be way ahead of PlayStation
as far as media centre capability is concerned but I can't believe Sony
can afford to allow this to continue for too long. Then again, maybe
Sony can't afford much nowadays after all their battery-recall and PS3
shipment delay disasters!

I won't clog up this thread much more, since I'm aware it isn't really
SB-related, but I will say one thing re SadGamerGeek's poor streaming
speeds over Wireless since that is something that in poor reception
could affect SB2 users.

I just did a bit of Googling and the new 200Mb powerline devices
(conforming to the newer Homeplug AV spec) seem to be available now and
not too expensive. Here's a link to the Netgear stuff (from the UK site,
but I would expect that the same stuff must be on the other country
sites): http://www.netgear.co.uk/wallplugged_adapterkit_hdxb101.php

Although my wireless SB2 works perfectly, my experience of using
802.11g for connecting remotely to another PC to use some remote
desktop software to control it is that even on an empty network with
100% signal, 54Mb connectivity, and the devices about 2 metres away
from each other, the effective bandwidth is still way short of the
theoretical 54Mb. I eventually switched to 100Mb wired to connect to my
other PC and got at least a 5 times performance increase if not greater
so I suspect that my effective bandwidth over my "perfect" wireless
connection was 20Mb or even less. If the Powerline devices only deliver
even 15% of their claimed performance then you (SadGamerGeek) should see
a massive improvement. I personally hadn't realised how far the
technology had come on in the last 18 months so I thank SadGamerGeek a
second time for inadvertently encouraging me to go off and explore the
latest PowerLine technology and discover such a pleasant surprise.

Thanks again to everyone who steered me in some good directions. It
seems I actually have a number of attractive options and I thought I
had none. A perfect result!

- Julian

--
JulianL