Smart playlists? Hell I’d be happy with some decent dumb playlist
features! ;-) I can’t believe how long it has taken to get playlists
just to function without the duplicate tracks bug. Simple yet refined
track selection should be a top priority for Slim Devices.

How about sort by song title? Or by any tagged criteria? Is this not
obvious? The ‘current playlist’ pane should have custom columns, and if
not multiple sort criteria (clutter), at least non-destructive sorting.
(Is this in a skin I don’t know about?)

I’d care less about playlists if there were better search features. I
want to be able to play all CDs on a recording label, or all song
remixed by an artist, or all compilation appearances by an artist.
Takes just a minute to add the data tags, but a long time to
build/maintain playlists. All tagged criteria that should be added to
search options.

What would really be a smart playlist is one that figures out when
you’ve moved a track file. Instead of  .m3u playlists based on
filename/location have a playlist format that is based on the tags,
that can go find your selections even if you move them, or correct a
one of the tags. Save the user much redundant manual input and
maintenance.

The database could stand to be a bit smarter about changed tracks. Dump
and rebuild every time I move a track file… Should be a better way.

New music should (optionally) be based on file creation rather than
file modified. A five year old file that gets re-tagged moves to the
new music results ahead of the new CD entered the day before.

The ‘delete file’ feature (fondly referred to as the ‘shit list’) is
one of the only features I miss on my old Sony changers. Add a file to
the shit list and the player skipped it unless you deliberately
selected it.

(This one sounds tricky so I won’t demand it.) Dynamic random
crossfade: Crossfade only when random play is active. Detect when a
track is mixed to the next in the album recording and let them play
together before skipping to the next randomly selected track. Perhaps
this could be assisted with tagging.

This is just a few features buggin me today.

--
random_tox