FWIW...just from a short time poking around, this is the SQL to produce
a list of artists and albums, sorted by artist, then album:

select contributors.name, albums.title from albums, contributors where
contributors.id = albums.contributor order by contributors.name,
albums.title;

Personally, I see a slimserver database reporting tool as residing
separately from slimserver--IMO, this kind of thing doesn't seem right
integrated directly into slimserver. If I was doing this (and I just
might), I'd write a small suite of Perl scripts to generate reports
using DBI and Template::Toolkit.

Maybe it could be integrated as a plugin, but I guarantee that a an
autonomous reporting program could be whipped together with much less
effort...

cheers,
#!/ben

--