That still sounds like a connection or load issue on the server.

The Squeezebox doesn't have a clock, and has no clue what time is at
all: it just knows "the server sent me a bunch of pixels to display"
In most cases (excluding things like visualizers), those bits come from
the server (including things like fonts) and the SB has no clue at all
what they mean.

So losing some connectivity between the server and the player will
result in a "stuck" display.  (Or the server being very very busy doing
something else.)

Likewise, the SB doesnt really have an Off position.  Clicking the On
button just makes it tell the server, "hey, I got a power toggle, help
me!  what do I do?" and the server changes the display on the
Squeezebox.

Losing or delaying those packets would show you the same sort of
behavior that you're seeing, where it takes a bit for the server to
respond.

Have you tried running the "Server and Network Health" thingie?  Turn
it on, play music for 20 minutes or something, then see what it says.
Especially if you can catch it when it does the slow response thing,
this will be telling.

Most likely you have another network in your area or a noisy microwave
oven that periodically degrades your network.  Try a different channel
on the router and see if that fixes it.  Or, alas, if running Windows,
make sure nothing bad is running on your server.  It is very very easy
to get infected with spambots and other junk if you use IE, and they do
tend to make your machine slow.

--
snarlydwarf