I have just finished putting together a new Linux (Ubuntu Edgy Server)
Slimserver / AlienBBC / DVB-T streaming solution (which should also
support DVB-S radio streaming) using icecast and a very neat and
efficient piece of software called dvbshout -
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~njh/dvbshout/ . This has replaced my old
DAB Wavefinder / DABBar solution and has the major benefit over other
DVB-T/S solutions I’ve seen in that it will serve an entire multiplex
concurrently – eg one client can listen to BBC Radio 3, another to
Radio 4 and (using Streamripper) a Radio 2 show could be recorded.

I’m using it with a current Hauppauge Nova-T card but I guess it would
work with all DVB-T/S/C cards supported by current Linux kernels. It
takes selected channels from a tuned Multiplex and fires them at an
icecast2 server, from where they can be received by Squeezebox(es) (or
any other Shoutcast-compatible client such as foobar2000, ITunes,
Winamp or Windows Media Player).  Unlike my old solution, which needed
separate boxes – Win98 for Wavefinder / DABBar and XP for Slimserver,
this brings it all together on one system, which seems much snappier
and, so far, more stable than the old combination.

Other benefits over DAB are that the station bitrates are higher
(>better quality) and changing channels is snappier. I think something
similar could be done using VLC, but after lots of time with Google it
looks like VLC would be far more resource hungry. My setup all runs
quite happily on an old 733MHz PIII.

There is a submitted Debian dvbshout package available at
http://sponsors.debian.net/viewpkg.php?id=286 . It’s not 100% clean
(the Perl script to build the required config file had some minor bugs)
but once running it’s been completely stable. A DVB-S (Nova-S) solution
would deliver more radio stations in a single multiplex but for now the
DVB-T card is good to work with.

My next challenge is to setup some Streamripper jobs to record and tag
my favourite shows so that I have “full quality” versions of Late
Junction etc. to complement the AlienBBC / Listen Again complete 7-day
archive, and figure out the best way to file them in Slimserver.

If there’s any interest in more detailed instructions, or if someone
has any ideas for a better capture / archive / Slim database solution
(I’ve considered a minimal MythTV install) then let me know…

Brgds
Phil

--
florca