Thanks to all who commented on this problem when I requested
assisstance. I am sorry if I highjacked the thread that I didn't start.

Today I tried to start from the command prompt again to correct the
error I made in the command line that Stinkingpig pointed out. Well
when I tried it today, I could not get any response beyond " slim.exe
not a valid command". So at this point I said the hell with it and
uninstalled the program ( I tried this a couple of times before I ever
posted my problem here), then reinstalled and it seems to work
perfectly again. The only difference I made this time was I also
uninstalled the Java program necessary to run softsqueeze before I
reinstalled slimserver. Not sure if this had any effect ??

I have no idea what the problem was or why it works now, go figure. I
sure wish I was more computer literate ie.had a better understanding of
how the program works and how the port communication works because as
soon as it acts I guy like me is lost. I will continue to test with
softsqueeze for a while before buying the squeezebox because I am not
yet convinced it will be stable/reliable enough.

Thanks again

--
Inniswhe