Mark Lanctot;160495 Wrote:
> I would think using the same SSID on both the router and the WAP would
> muddy things up quite a bit.

It depends on what you want to accomplish. Windows XP will connect to
the first network in the preferred order as defined in your wireless
network settings for which it has coverage. If you have separate SSID
there will be separate entries in the settings and the top entry might
not be the one you want to use. Not too much of a problem for a
stationary computer where you could move the closest SSID to the top
but for a laptop there is likely to be a lot of fiddling with the
network settings.

Clients on other operating systems might work differently and hold on
to the network for as long as it can even if there is stronger signal
from another network. I don't think there is a standard in this area so
it has the potential of being really muddy.

--
bergek

Transporter - Squeezebox 3 - Serener GS-L02 - Via EPIA SP8000 - Ubuntu
6.06 Server