My 2 pence:

I wouldn't want to pay any extra for the hardware required to
accomodate external storage. It seems like a silly idea to me, but like
others have said, that's MY OPINION! (although I am right of course ;-)
) A more flexible option might be for slimserver to monitor external
storage on the server machine and make this available from the
squeezebox as soon as possible. I would have thought this could be
easily implemented with the current squeezebox.

I think slimdevices need to be very careful with adding new features.
You may think your own budget is much the same as everyone else's, but
for me the squeezebox was right on the limit here in the UK. Very few
of my friends would want to spend a similar amount on something like
this. For me the squeezebox makes it possible to use great audio
hardware and a great interface with my own dirt cheap server hardware
in the background. As soon as server type functions get moved into the
squeezebox the cost will surely rocket.

Squeezebox 4 should have yet a larger/higher res screen! And definately
VFD, nothing else can compare. You can stick your colour screens where
the sun don't shine ;-)

--
ehjones