I used leather bound binders that hold about 60 CDs and booklet. I found
them at www.handstands.com (they are the "Large CD/DVD Binders" and you
can add extra pages to them up to about 60 CDs before the binders start
to bulge too much). CompUSA, Staples and Office Depot carry them in the
stores or you can order online, which I had to do when I found that I
needed 17 binders just to free my shelves of my classical CD collection
alone. I guess that means I had about 1000 classical CDs. I divided up
the collection by period of music (early music through modern) and put
the binders on a bookshelf. They look pretty nice, kind of like photo
binders or scrapbooks, about 1 1/2 inches wide with labels on which I
printed the period of music stuffed inside. I had to bite the bullet
and just throw out the plastic cases, even though some of the double
and triple box sets had some nice graphics on the boxes that I pitched.
I filled 6 large outdoor garbage bags with cases. They weighed a ton. I
freed up 7 shelves of my CD wall shelves for my jazz and acoustic
collection, which I listen much more frequently to these days. Still, I
guess I need to stop collecting music. There is just too much plastic
involved, taking up too much space!
I bought some extra binders in case I think of other discrete music
collections I can house in them instead of on the shelves--like
Soundtracks, or 80's music, or Grunge, etc.

--
sc53