Michael Herger;163670 Wrote:

> >> We used to merge the two tags, but people were being confused,
> >> and getting incorrect data when they would change tag information
> but
> >> would still see the old ID3v1 data.[/color][/color]
>
> > that's a shortcoming of some _other_ software, or of the program
> used
> > to tag those files.
>
> Tell them to fix it.

So you break SlimServer in response to other software being confusing
for the user?

"people were being confused, and getting incorrect data when they would
change tag information but would still see the old ID3v1 data"

This makes no sense.  If iTunes or some other software ignores the
id3v1 data when making updates to tags, then how does throwing out
_all_ id3v1 data address this problem?  If the update is done only to
the id3v2 tags, then most people would expect the id3v2 tag data to
take precedence over the id3v1 data, but not necessarily to exclude
_all_ of the id3v1 fields.  The issue that the current behavior creates
is that people often see merged data in other software and don't
know/care whether (say) the ARTIST data is in an id3v1 tag while the
ALBUM is id3v2.  Even worse, by adding a single id3v2 (or APE) tag,
they effectively wipe out all of the id3v1 data without having any idea
how or why or where that happened.

--
JJZolx

Jim