On Thu, 28 Dec 2006, snarlydwarf wrote:

> You can have your library as messed up and chaotic as you want.  I pity
> the day you decide to fix album art or years on albums, though.  Just
> which directory should cover.jpg be in?

OK. I'm getting drawn into this pitfall as well.

Years on albums I fixed a while ago. I wrote a script that 'exports' a
playlist to an MP3 CD. I did 'ls /music/pop/*joe_jackson*/*/*.mp3 > jj.m3u'
and fed this list to my script. It then makes a CD for an MP3
car-radio with the album names in the root directory, prepended by the
year. This way, I can listen to the whole discography of Joe Jackson
are on albums with other performers.

Of course, I found some albums (for other artists and classical music)
that had no year.

Fixing (under linux) is easy:

. /u/bin/mp3_functions

for file in `find /music/ -name "*.mp3" -print`
do
        year=`mp3_prttag "TYER" $file`

        if [ $year = "(unknown)" ]
        then
                echo -n "     : $file "
                echo -n `mp3_prttag "TALB" $file`
                echo " does NOT have a year tag"
        fi
done

In other words, dear snarlydwarf, if one has the right tools there's
really no objection to having music stored in a 'chaotic' but
orthogonal way.

I know by now that your 'solution' works (for you) - you've made that
clear. I'm looking for other solutions that would help more people -
appearantly not you. The recurring 'Various Artists' debates show
there are a few more like me.

Cover.jpg? I don't know - I don't have any. Now, start bashing me for
not having cover art. I'd opt for having it as a tag anyways.

Fact remains: I asked for a solution and some people keep on beating a
dead horse. That includes you.

This will be my last post on the subject of library organization -
this thread is about something else: the addition of an
'variousArtistAreSplit' option.

> You would also need the Common Titles flag back, unless you really like
> seeing albums called "Greatest Hits" or whatever with a hundred tracks
> by different artists...

I already wrote in my first post that such behavior would be
acceptable to me.

Adriaan