It's been awhile since anyone has posted on this thread and the launch
of the PS3 has come and gone.  I was, fortunate, enough to walk into
GameStop a few days ago, a few moments after they received a new
shipment, and walked out with a 60 GB PS3.  Pretty impressive console
but that's another story...

Now, obviously, Slimserver was not the reason for buying the console
but Yellow Dog have recently released an easy-to-install Linux build
that takes advantage of the Cell processor.  The latest Linux kernel
also includes Cell specific code, as contributed by Sony.  Basically,
all distros from this point on should be compatible with the PS3.

Has anyone successfully installed Slimserver on a PS3?  The only show
stopper I can see is the 256 MB of main RAM, although the 256 MB of
video memory can also be utilized dynamically as RAM.  Furthermore, the
RAM is high speed XDR memory running at the same clock speed as the Cell
(3.2 GHz) so, hopefully, it won't prove to be a bottleneck.  With an
attached high capacity USB external drive, the PS3 could make an
incredible SlimServer.

Any thoughts? If no one has done this, I may just go ahead and give it
a try...

El Duderino/OtoDoc

--
El Duderino