Hi Graham,
The WD device should work - suggest you do some googling for any
feedback on reliability problems on any external device before you take
the plunge though.  You'd still need the PC turned on to run SlimServer
- there are similar devices that can run Slimserver themselves (have a
look at the '3rd party hardware' forum).
At £200 for 500GB it would be quite expensive per GB; an internal 400GB
drive costs £80ish. If you don't need the network connectivity then USB
versions are cheaper.
It's down to personal choice really - if the flexibility of having an
external drive is worth it to you then go for it!  For £200 I'd
probably try to have my cake and eat it with an internal 400GB drive
and another 400GB drive in an external USB enclosure for backups.
HTH, M.

--
Wonko