geraint smith;167289 Wrote:
> isn't 48kHz actually quite a good thing because many sound cards
> surreptitiously work on that rate? And yes, as far as I'm concerned
> it's iTunes' inability to rip at 24 bit that is its biggest drawback.

IMHO, the fact that iTunes can't rip from a 16-bit source to a 24-file
file isn't really a drwaback... those last 8-bits would be ZEROs and
just take up space.  Especially if you're going to transcode to a
different format, it really doesn't make sense.

48kHz is marginally better than 44.1kHz, but was really developed to
use with VIDEO.  All video source material has an audio SR of 48kHz (or
96kHz or 192kHz).  There's still a brickwall at 20kHz in most D/A
filters (obviously only at 48kHz).

As mmcguff has mentioned above, AIFF files do not have room for a lot
of metadata within the file for TAGS and such.  Recording studios and
Production facilities are moving to BWF (Broadcast Wave File) as the
new 'standard' format due to its ability to store large amounts of
metadata.  I'd LOVE it if FLAC was a new format for OS 10.5 but would
be surprised since Apple spent so much effort on their own lossless
codec.  Still...

--
Eric Seaberg

Eric Seaberg - San Diego