JJZolx;168672 Wrote:
> From a sales and marketing standpoint, it would be incredibly
> shortsighted not to pursue support for DRM.  There are realities of the
> marketplace that dictate what features a product in a certain niche must
> have.
Quite so. The average man in the street who buys some DRM'd music won't
want to go through any hassle to play it on his devices - he'll just
want it to work.

HOWEVER...  the dominant DRM in the marketplace right now is the Apple
one. From the perspective of the number of potential new customers you
could attract, supporting Apple's DRM is what's needed. But of course
it's a closed system, and Apple refuse to licence it to others.

At last November's What HiFi show, the Sonos guy told me that they have
the technical ability to play Apple DRM'd stuff, and that only legal
reasons prevent them from doing so. This implies that Apple DRM has
been cracked. In which case, given the open source nature of
Slimserver, I can't see how a third party could be prevented from
building and releasing a SS plugin to transcode Apple DRM'd content
into something that can then be streamed to a Squeezebox. (Or maybe the
Sonos guy was full of sh*t, and Apple's DRM has not yet been cracked).

--
cliveb

Performers -> dozens of mixers and effects -> clipped/hypercompressed
mastering -> you think a few extra ps of jitter matters?