kdf;168593 Wrote:
> On 9-Jan-07, at 7:09 AM, hunta wrote:
>

> > SadGamerGeek;168520 Wrote:
> >> I'll attempt to RTFM next time......
> >
> > Does such a thing exist?
>
> http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?AlbumArtwork
> http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?ToolsAlbumArt
>
> simple thing: use Tag & Rename to grab album info from Amazon, and have
>
> it store the art in tags and as a file.  It just works.
>
> Or forgoing any tool advocacy, just store a cover.jpg file in the same
>
> folder as the tracks for the album and put each album in a folder.
>
> -kdf

kdf, thanks again for your help.

After a certain amount of head-scratching, I am well on the way to
getting my library straightened out. There are a few additional points
worth mentioning as I was having problems with albums appearing
multiple times:

- I had a number of albums with blank (i.e. white, rather than no)
artwork, even though there were valid cover art files in the folder.
This was due to a 1x1 white pixel in the tag, which seem to correspond
to around the time I used iTunes for ripping. The SS browser interface
would show this as blank artwork (white, not the '?' icon) in the album
list, but would show the correct image when viewing a single album's
details. Attaching the file to the tag in Tag&Rename solved this one.
- It's definitely worth removing tags and recreating them, as opposed
to updating them. This from another thread I saw about how multi-format
tags can be read multiple times, resulting in duplicates. Tag&Rename has
this function.
- Another source of duplicates was the MusicIP cache. Tracks need to be
rescanned and any updated tags (=new tracks) validated. SS seems to hang
on to the track in the MusicIP cache as mixable with the new version
also showing as unmixable until this is done.
- Periodic full library deletions and rebuilds don't go amiss either.

Thanks to those who contributed pointers for this.

Andrew

--
hunta