exile;168556 Wrote:
> I have many tracks (especially grateful dead live tracks) in which the
> first 30 secs of a song is just crowd noise or tuning and so I'd like
> to mark an in point at the actual start of the music in the track
> instead of at the beginning of the song. I'd like it to work so that
> whenever the song is selected in any fashion (playlist, random mix,etc)
> that the song starts at the marked in point.
I wasn't going to reply, since I'm not sure that what I'm thinking is
actually the case in your situation, but since nobody else has offered
anything, here goes...

In my experience, these "intro" parts to tracks on live albums are
usually in index 0 of the track. You can check this by playing the
original CD on a CD player and looking at the CD player's display. If,
while these intros are playing, the CD display is counting down, then
it's in index 0.

When you rip a CD, what happens to the stuff in index 0 depends on the
ripper you use, and possibly the way you configure it. There are
basically three possibilities:

1. The index 0 contents are included at the start of the track. It
sounds like this is how your ripper is currently working.

2. The index 0 contents are appended to the end of the preceding track.
I believe this the the default setting for EAC. If you rip your CDs like
this, then when you go to a particular track, you won't get the intro
noise, which is what you want. It will be played if you play the album
through, which is probably also what you want. But if you play an
individual track that has the next track's index 0 tacked on to the
end, then it will also be played, which is probably not what you want.
But of course you can always stop the playback (or skip to the next
track in the playlist) when the appended index 0 content starts.

3. The index 0 contents are discarded. I can't think of a case where
this would be useful to me, but I think some people like to remove the
gaps between tracks.

[4. In principle, the index 0 contents could be put into a separate
file all by itself, but I've never heard of a ripper that has that
option, unless there's some obscure option in EAC I've not seen].

So, I reckon from a ripping point of view, there is no simple solution.
Option 2 above seems the closest to what you want. The suggestion of a
"track startpoint" tag that gives an offset into the file where the
music starts sounds like a pretty neat idea to me.

--
cliveb

Performers -> dozens of mixers and effects -> clipped/hypercompressed
mastering -> you think a few extra ps of jitter matters?