results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=31443
Question: How do you control the Slimserver?

- Stock Handheld Remote
- 3rd Party Remote (Harmony, Nokia, PDA, &c)
- Web Interface
- 3rd Party Computer Interface (Moose, JRMC, &c)

The remote is OK, although only being able to see a limited number of
entries is a pain when doing a search, being ably to rapidly pick from
a list is easier if you can see all of the list, or at least more of it
than one entry - you don't know if your search was correct otherwise.
Becuase it is a "slim" device, response time can make stepping through
lists irrititating, it's not that it's slow, it's that it's uneven and
therefore hard to predict when to stop clicking. I wish the SB would
cache more so that scrolling happened at a fixed rate instead of going
back to the server each time.

The web interface is good for set-up, but bad for music selection.
There are just too many clicks to play some music and the affordance is
poor - it really isn't obvious what you do to play all the tracks from
an album for example. Does clicking the first song do it, or do I click
the album name?

In any case all the niggles are dwarfed by the slow update. It's very
similar to the setup screen for my ADSL router, but I only do that very
occasionally. Having that same response time and clunky interface is
really poor for a consumer music player. I want snappy and simple, no
tiny buttons, but big obviopus ones. No extraneous data and
information, just the basics. Just because you can display all the
options on one page, that doesn't mean you should.

A great example is the default start page. I have two panels, one
labeled "home", the other the name of my music player. Everything I
could possibly want to do is on those two panels, but why not just the
common operations? Why all the clutter - and it is clutter. Just how do
I play a album from the start page? It's what I immediately want to do,
but I have to work out that I first have to search or browse to find
the music first, rather than seeing a list of music straightaway that
lets me click straightaway on a track and play it. Even when I find a
track I have to know to hover over a tiny symbol to find out what it
does - and what's a playlist if I'm joe user? No obvious method on how
to create and manage one in the UI. When I do click on browse, there's
too many albums listed on each page and not enough room for obvious
functionality. Sure I can change that, but the defaults are too, too
confusing.

Of course people will say "once you get used to it it's really
powerful" and "it's for technically minded people" , but that really is
an cop-out for not thinking about use case in the design and carrying
out usability testing and high quality UI design work. It's great that
it exists, but as a consumer product it is Byzantine in operation, far
too complex and unresponsive.

OK, rant over!

--
CardinalFang