Thanks for all the suggestions, still confused what to do. I'm swapping
from an old dual pentium workstation to a macbook and don't ~really~
want to fire the PC up just to rip CDs. So windows software seems a bit
of a non starter.

I've looked at the Mac OS X program MAX which can rip to FLAC and MP3
at the same time (sort of Mareo style). I'd then import the MP3's into
itunes for my IPOD synchronisation and copy the FLAC files over to the
server. (Which to complicate things further will now run Xubuntu and
not Win2000). Then all I need is to scan for Replaygain on the FLAC
files on the server and hopefully use the iVolume plugin within Itunes
as I don't think MAX has any replaygain functionality built in. I will
probably use Foobar's convert function to deal with the FLAC files I've
currently got.

I've read that MAX is not as good as EAC for ripping but if it's 70% as
good then I'll use the PC for the duff discs (I buy quite a bit from
Amazon Marketplace!), but if the Macbook is dead slow then I'm not sure
what I'll do.

I'm even contemplating ditching XP on the workstation as Xubuntu looks
interesting, but have other PC only (that I know) tasks that I might
want to accomplish.

Thanks.

--
sdevans