Thanks ceejay, unchecking AIFF -> FLAC did the trick.  It didn't FF or
REW very smoothly and so I've decided it really isn't a high priority,
so I think I'll just stick with Apple Lossless with no FF/REW ability.

Just to experiment, I also unchecked Apple Lossless -> FLAC to see what
would happen and as expected FF and REW still didn't work with  Apple
Lossless files but there was also a noticable "pop" between tracks.

So I've returned everything back to the way it was and all is well
again.  Life is full of compromises!

Thanks again.

--
USAudio

SB3 -> PS Audio Trio C-100 -> Revel Concerta F12's