wysbf2;172716 Wrote:
> It seems that if I rip a CD as Variable Bit Rate in Win Media Player,
> but choose the highest quality, it effectively rips it as WMA Lossless.
> Right? In which case, that explains why I have a bunch of WMAs I now
> can't play.

I'm not sure, I don't use WMA.  800-900 kbps does sound like lossless
though.

I do know with MP3 you can't use an arbitrary bitrate, you have a
pre-described set to choose from (i.e. you can use 128 kbps but not
132.)

> If I want to stick with my Ubuntu machine, do I have any workarounds
> other than re-ripping *lots* of CDs? Would installing a WMA Codec on my
> machine make any difference?

Could be, but seeing as WMA means "Windows Media Audio", Microsoft can
do what they like with it and the Linux community will have to play
catch-up should they change the format.

--
Mark Lanctot

"It's like, you know, a New Age religion, but with better treble
response." - Jon Heal