I use RAID 5 at home, primarily to avoid problems from failing hard drives.
In the 6 years I've had a RAID 5 setup, I've had one drive fail.  Just being
able to swap in a new drive and have it running again was worth it for me.

I agree backups are also needed, preferably incremental backups with
versioning.

On 1/22/07, Michael Herger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> 1. RAID is no substitute for backups.

Your right. IMHO raid is overrated for most private uses. It's sold as if
it were backup, but it's only about _availability_, reduced downtime etc.
- which is quite unimportant to most home users.

--

Michael