an unfortunate way to learn about the vulnerability of RAID.

my two cents: I'm a television editor and the use of raids for storing
and quickly accessing massive amounts of video/audio media is
commonplace. what's also commonplace is Raids failing. Every company
I've ever worked for has gone through failed raid arrays.

In television, the media on the raid drives is always expendable and
therefore we don't back it up. the source tapes can always be
re-digitized if something goes wrong with the computer. but with
personal media it's very different.

It sounds dull but being paranoid and contantly backing up personal
media is a must for peace of mind and to minimize the headaches when
those drives eventually fail you.

--
exile