Thanks for the comments.

Wiring a PC to the place where the TV/SB/PVR are isn't feasible,
unfortunately.  But I do have a wireless LAN going to the SB (actually
a TP).

Hence the 6000 seeming exactly what I need.

There are three things stopping me doing the 5800/NSLU2 thing:

1 - I'd have to find somewhere to hide the slug (ok, could probably
find a spot behind the woofer)

2 - it seems like a kludgy and inelegant solution, and I yearn for
elegance in technical solutions

3 - I'm convinced that if I do go this route, within 3 months they will
finally bring out the 6000 (or an equivalent device from someone else
will come out) and I'll be really miffed.

On the other hand, I am getting increasing frustrated by the single
tuner on my existing PVR, and my inability to transfer recordings from
it, so its just possible that this frustration may force me to take
action anyway!

Ceejay

--
ceejay