badbob;154032 Wrote:
> I've re-ripped encoded my entire collection, tried a couple. Here is
> what I've done.
>
> 1) EAC ripping to flac 8, normalized disabled
> 2) Foobar, scan all files with album mode
> 3) Enable Replaygain in SS, set to smart mode
>
> DO NOT NORMALIZE TRACKS, if you do make sure it's in album mode (whole
> album has a set gain for all tracks), and not individual track
> normalization
>
> There is no level differences in in live or unplugged cd's. I forgot to
> disable normalize, with it enabled it caused level differences (even
> with Replaygain)
>
> "With the tracks that I have already processed I have noticed a volume
> difference between artists and tracks within artists / albums"
>
> Strange- if you just rescan files with foobar, and overwrite "track"
> with "album" replaygain it should work fine. Did you normalize the
> tracks during the ripping process?

Having bought and iPod and a Squeezebox, I ripped all my CD's using
Apple Lossless.  I was unaware that the recording level varied as much
as it does and would like to even out the playback.

I could follow the three steps above and accomplish my mission (I don't
want to compromise the lossless encoding in addition to the gain
adjustments)I suppose.

My question is, do I need to re-rip to implement Replaygain or can I
use the Apple Lossless files (which would seem to be implementing steps
2&3 above)?

Thanks,
SteveA
I have 500+ CD's done so reripping would be a PITA

--
SteveA