thesil;173751 Wrote:
> I am sorry, but I don't understand, please bear with me. I have already
> downloaded Lame, you gave me another website for downloading. I just
> need to know what bitrate level anf what quality level to set my player
> at. Thanks in advance

here's a site i use to get lame binaries:

http://mitiok.cjb.net/

and another:

http://lame.bakerweb.biz/

although that one isn't the latest i guess.  there may be better sites
too.

once you have the lame codec downloaded, the question i have for you is
what do you need it for exactly?

do you need it to rip CDs?  if so, i use it with EAC (the cd ripper)
and while a bit complex to setup, its worth it.

i rip at 256kbps and unless you have great ears and a great stereo,
meaning amazing, you won't notice a difference.

i also have a pretty fast system, so i set the quality level as 1.  0
is best and very, very slow, 10 is fastest.  i say set it as close to 0
as you can stand.  the command is: -q 1

i also use joint stereo.

if however, you want to install lame to SS, so it can serve out your
stream to anyone outside your house, i would recommend just giving a
128 bitrate limit, if you have a cable connection.

what i don't know much about, and maybe someone here does, is if lame
writes replaygain tags by default.

i assumed it did, but i don't see any replaygain tags in mp3tag at all
in my mp3s.

its pretty much the last major issue i need to figure out regarding my
mp3s, and if i was starting new, i'd like to know for sure how to get
good replaygain tags written into my mp3s.

--
MrSinatra

www.LION-Radio.org
Using:
Squeezebox2 w/SS 6.5.1 (beta!?) - Win XP Pro SP2 - 3.2ghz / 2gig ram