I'm a big fan of the noise isolating variety of headphones.  I ride the
subway to work every morning and they're a great way to block out (most
of) the noise of the train and people around me without extra battery
attachements or ridiculous head enlarging earmuffs.

One word of warning about the Etymotic ER-6i's though.  While their
sound quality is fantastic they are extremely delicate.  I had to
replace them once during their one year warranty period since the
extremely thin chord on one ear began to cut out.  It happened again
six months later after the warranty was over and I decided that $120 a
year in headphone costs weren't working.

I replaced them with the Shure Er-2c's which have a much thicker chord
and a 2 year warranty.  Sound quality is comparable and I haven't
looked back since.

--
mrchrispy